Excellent free sound cuing program

OnStage Direct
Participant

I am using "Audacity" for sound editing.

It is officially free, and works foe Windows, Linux and Mac.

Downloadable from here : http://audacity.sourceforge.net

The features:

Record live audio.

Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.

Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.

Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.

Change the speed or pitch of a recording.

And more!

Hope this helps,

Inna Krasnova

onstagedirect.com

acjohnso25
Participant

Toward the end of the December 1st episode of ItA:TE, Simon mentioned a discussion with me regarding the sound cuing software that I used for Passionfool’s production of The Tempest, so I figure I should share.

The program is called MultiPlay, and you can download it here:

http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/multiplay/multiplay.php

It works on Windows — XP for sure; I haven’t tried Vista or 7 yet — and is completely free for amateur or commercial uses. Its feature set still has some small gaps, but I’ve used it for two shows now (Tempest and Monster) and found it extremely useful and reliable…and it’s far better than fiddling with CDs. 🙂

In a nutshell, I run the program on my laptop, where I have all the individual sounds stored as audio files, e.g. MP3, WAV, etc. I use the program to pre-set all the sound cues. Come showtime, I plug the laptop’s audio output into the sound system, and then simply hit the space bar to activate each cue, in turn.

You can get pretty fancy, too, once you’re familiar with the software:

– pre-set volume/balance/pitch levels for a sound cue

– use another cue to modify volume/balance/pitch of an earlier cue while it’s still playing

– insert precise timing between cues

– loop cues, finitely or infinitely

– layer multiple sounds on top of each other

(The big storm in The Tempest, for example, was eight or nine individual storm sounds, all layered together and looped at different intervals, with volume changes and extra sounds thrown on top at critical moments. And yet the whole thing was only four taps on the space bar.)

Hopefully others find this as useful as I have!

a.j.

The topic ‘Excellent free sound cuing program’ is closed to new replies.