Looking For Classes

Peter J. (theatreinlondon.ca admin)
Keymaster

The only classes that I’m aware of right now are through Passionfool Academy, which is targeted at ages 16­–22. There are various opportunities through the year for younger ages, e.g. London Community Players have summer and fall programs called LYTE for ages 10–15, the Grand has a musical theatre program for high school students, and I believe Noisy Mime also has something in the works although I can’t put my hands on any details at the moment.

Other than that, there are acting workshops from time to time (generally posted on this board) for both general and specific areas, e.g. stage fighting, improv, clown. As well, Jeff Culbert and the Grand Theatre both do script analysis workshops: Jeff’s workshop for Doubt is in progress now, and the Grand’s next one is January 29–31.

Until a couple of years ago there was a local organization called the Theatre School; I don’t know many details about it or if the people who were involved are doing similar work elsewhere.

Perhaps others have more information or know of different opportunities? I know Sarah Cholmondeley, the education coordinator for the Grand, is active here—any thoughts?

Valerie
Participant

Fanshawe College has a 2 year Theatre Arts program. The studios are in the Galleria mall (the offices are shared with job connect, and I’m sure they’d be able to provide you with some literature). They have acting, voice (speech, not singing – training your voice to use on stage is very important), movement, and depending on the year and what professionals they are able to get in you learn a variety of techniques. There’s also a history and english course. You perform two full plays in second year and work on several scenes/pieces/monologues throughout the program. I graduated from the program in 2008.

Peter J. (theatreinlondon.ca admin)
Keymaster

Thanks Valerie, how could I have forgotten to mention Fanshawe! Do you happen to know if there are any theatre courses in their continuing education program?

Mark Speechley
Participant

Western Continuing Studies has a course in Musical Theatre this winter:

https://www.uwo.ca/cstudies/framebrochure.html

London Community Players offers a monthly Playhouse, usually the first Monday of each month. The next one is Dec. 7 at 7:00 at the Palace Theatre (Rehearsal Hall) and is on Improvisation.

http://londoncommunityplayers.com/File%20Store/PlayhouseSchedule.pdf

(note: This hasn’t been updated from last May, but from the website you can find contact information and theatre location).

Some say the best way to learn is to do. Go out for an audition for a small part. This site (Theatreinlondon) is an excellent source of audition information (although only some local companies publicly announce all of their audition opportunities).

Valerie
Participant

Because of the nature of the theatre program and how it always changed, I don’t think there’s anything available in continuing education… I could be wrong. But even in the program itself, some of the instructors will be different for each year because they use professionals from that field, and they often have to leave after even just one year because of other commitments. Jonathan Goad from Stratford was the director of our Shakespeare piece simply because he had the time. Michael Shamata (artistic director of The Belfry) gave us classical training, again, because at that point he had the time. The voice teacher who was there during my second year left to work in New York for the season.

So it’s a little different every year, and I think honestly the instructors just wouldn’t be able to commit to continuing education… during a play, my class would be in the studios from 8am for classes for a few hours, then rehearsals sometimes til 11:30 at night. It’s craziness.

The Grand Theatre London
Participant

check http://www.grandtheatre.com. We have a Classical Text Workshop with Bernard Hopkins at the end of January and anything that we have we will post on the website. You can also call our Educational Coordinator, Sarah Cholmondeley, for more information on any workshops that are happening at 519-672-9030 x280.

Heather May
Participant

Concordia College Downtown is Offering a 6-week course between July & August this year, Tuesday nights from 7-10pm 🙂

http://theatreinlondon.ca/community/topic/500

LondonActress26
Participant

I’m looking for anywhere in London where I might be able to find acting classes or training of any kind. I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

The topic ‘Looking For Classes’ is closed to new replies.