Two Beal Grads in Concert at Sarnia’s Imperial Theatre

Peter J. (theatreinlondon.ca admin)
Keymaster

[forwarded by TiL contributor Mary Alderson]

Media Release

For Immediate Release: Please publish prior to March 8, 2013

Two Beal Grads in Concert at Sarnia’s Imperial Theatre

Two former H. B. Beal students who are now musical theatre professionals will be performing at Sarnia’s Imperial Theatre on Friday, March 8. Thomas Alderson and Cameron Carver are part of a concert entitled “Broadway Bound”. “We are really happy to be back in the area, and performing on the same stage again,” Thomas says.

When Thomas’ family moved to Strathroy nine years ago, he was already appearing at area theatres. He transferred to the performing arts program at H. B. Beal Secondary School in London and went on to study musical theatre at Sheridan College. Cameron was also a student at Beal, and followed Thomas to Sheridan.

At Beal, the two appeared together in Beauty and the Beast. They were also in several musicals at London’s Grand Theatre as part of the High School Projects. Together they appeared in Fiddler on the Roof and Oklahoma. Thomas was also in The Music Man and The Sound of Music, while Cameron was in West Side Story.

More recently, both Thomas and Cameron have been involved with Musical Theatre Productions at London’s Palace Theatre. Thomas was choreographer of White Christmas, in which Cameron had the lead role of Phil, and Cameron just directed Seussical The Musical there.

As a child, Thomas appeared in musicals at Sarnia’s Imperial Theatre. So when the invitation came for him to return, he didn’t hesitate. He immediately invited Cameron to join him. Cameron is well-known in the Sarnia area: he was a member of the original Lambton MainStreet Players as a student in 2007. The troupe of young singer/dancers performed at outdoor events around Sarnia and across Lambton County.

“We like to bring our area talent back to Sarnia when we can,” says Ron Lawton of the Imperial Theatre, “we’re pleased Thomas and Cameron have been able to fit this concert into their schedules, and they are also bringing some first class talent with them.”

Joining them will be Tess Benger and Lili Connor. “I can’t wait for my friends here at home to hear them; the audience will be amazed,” Thomas adds.

Tess Benger has been playing the starring role of Anne in Anne of Green Gables for the last two seasons. That’s a role that every young Canadian woman in musical theatre covets, Thomas says. “Tess will amaze you with her singing, and she will perform something from Anne,” he adds. While in character as Anne, Tess got to meet William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. She presented Kate with a copy of Anne of Green Gables as it one of Kate’s favourite books.

Lili Connor has performed in theatres across Ontario. She has a powerhouse voice and is also known for her comedic skills. Both Lili and Tess will be singing some Barbra Streisand favourites.

The four young people will be singing well-loved songs from the Great White Way. Thomas explains that they have many familiar show tunes lined up, but they are also going to introduce a few songs that might not be as well-known. He has promised some comedy numbers, too.

After graduating from college with the triple threat and top academic awards in 2009, Thomas toured 35 U.S. states and two provinces as Mordred in Camelot. He has appeared in High School Musical, Hairspray, and more recently as Bud Frump in How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying at Huron Country Playhouse. At the Port Hope Festival Theatre, he was Moody in Anne of Green Gables and Tommy in The Music Man. He was in White Christmas at the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre in Winnipeg and La Cage aux Folles at the Neptune Theatre in Halifax. Recently, he ventured into film, appearing in the comedy / horror / musical movie Stage Fright with Meat Loaf and Minnie Driver, which will be in theatres this fall. “Shooting the movie was fun, but I think musical theatre is still my first love,” he says.

Cameron has become a regular at London’s Grand Theatre appearing in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor® Dream Coat and Miracle on 34th Street, since graduating from Sheridan. As well, he has worked across the country for Stage West in Mississauga and Calgary, and spent two seasons with Rainbow Stage in Winnipeg, Canada’s largest outdoor theatre. Cameron will next be conquering the east coast, heading to Halifax to work at the Neptune Theatre. Also a producer of his own works, Cameron is the founder of “The Dance Concept”, his own contemporary dance company performing shows in both London and Toronto.

What’s up next for Thomas? “I just finished working as assistant director on the musical Chicago at Sheridan College. It was great to be back there and working with the students. Next, I go to Calgary to perform in Anne of Green Gables. And this summer I will be in Spamalot at Huron Country Playhouse and St. Jacobs Playhouse. It’s ironic that I was in Camelot there, and now I’m doing Spamalot, the Monty Python spoof.”

For tickets to see him in Broadway Bound, contact the Imperial Theatre box office at 519-344-SHOW (7469) or toll free 1-877-344-7469, or purchase them online at http://www.imperialtheatre.net/ : Adults $24, Seniors $20, Students $15.

For a bus ride from London to Sarnia and back, call 519-933-0142. Cost of the bus trip is $22.

-30-

– Attached are photos of each of the four performers.
– To interview Thomas Alderson, call him at 519-852-4362
– To interview Ron Lawton, call the Imperial Theatre at 519-344-7469

The topic ‘Two Beal Grads in Concert at Sarnia’s Imperial Theatre’ is closed to new replies.